North Central College would like to take this opportunity to announce that applications are now being accepted for the full-time, non-exempt position of Periodicals Assistant.
• Assist with the ordering and invoicing of periodicals and online resources, including, corresponding with vendors to place, change and cancel orders, as directed by the Technical Services Coordinator; processing vendor invoices for payment and maintaining records of payment.
• Assist with the receipt and processing of print periodicals, including copy cataloging, print periodicals and creating/maintaining local holdings and access information; creating and maintaining check-in records and associated files; supervising and/or checking-in items received; identifying and claiming missing issues and/or ordering replacement copies; identifying and returning damaged or defective items for replacement; supervising and/or performing processing, shelving and withdrawal of items; identifying and correcting errors in online records and union lists.
• Assist in the maintenance of online resource records and union lists, including identifying availability of electronic subscriptions to periodicals and maintaining appropriate records; copy cataloging, electronic resources, when applicable, and creating/maintaining local holdings and access information; updating local access information in consortial and system union lists (e.g., OCLC Local Holdings Records, SFX and Serials Solutions); activating and managing access to electronic periodicals and other online resources; tracking interlibrary loan availability for all electronic journals and other information from license agreements.
• Assist with the annual review of and budgeting for the Periodicals Collection, including updating local continuations database by entering and maintaining retention and ordering information, collecting and entering usage statistics for titles in any format, and maintaining pricing and payment information for titles in any format to prepare for and assist with the annual budgeting process; assisting with the creation of standard and customized periodical reports; accumulating periodical information for program accreditation and reviews; and assisting with obtaining information from vendors on future availability and cost of titles.
• Resolving problems with microform equipment and, when necessary, contacting the equipment vendor.
• Catalog and maintain thesis collection.
• Participate in Technical Services unit projects.
• Train and supervise Technical Services student assistants assigned to periodicals, and electronic resources including, under the supervision of the Technical Services Coordinator, preparing training materials for student assistants assigned to periodicals; and assisting with the evaluation of student assistants assigned to periodicals.
• Under the supervision of the Technical Services Coordinator, draft procedures for the periodicals unit.
• Collect periodicals and electronic resources statistics.
• Provide basic reference and access services during assigned hours at the Information Services Desk.
• Cooperate as a team member with the library staff in performing any duties essential to efficient library services.
• Perform other related duties and tasks as appropriately assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree is required.
• Excellent computer skills are required.
• Knowledge of an online catalog (particularly I-Share and/or OCLC) is preferred.
• Library experience or training required.
• Technical service experience, copy cataloging experience and supervisory experience are preferred.
Deadline for Applications: October 18, 2011
For more information, please visit http://northcentralcollege.edu/x53755.xml